And Now, A Word From Our Fosters

Sandy, Toby (the founder of LNPB), Carole
Leave No Paws Behind is an all foster based animal rescue in Southern California. What that means is we rely on people volunteering to care for the animals we rescue in their own homes. We don't have a facility or a kennel to house animals. Without fosters volunteering to help us, we can't rescue animals. The more fosters we have, the more animals we can rescue. In an effort to generate more interest in becoming a foster, either for us, or for a rescue or shelter close to you, we asked our very own fosters to explain what fostering means to them. Leave No Paws Behind specializes in seniors, medical needs, and hospice animals pulled from So Cal shelters, as such, some of the responses reflect the nature of the animals we rescue.

Han Nah with Pede

Our foster Han Nah says: 

"My foster journey began last summer. I was dropping off ice at the Baldwin Park Shelter (a local animal shelter) during a heat wave and met a volunteer there who recommended getting in touch with Cathi Perez (one of LNPB's puller/transporters and fosters) about fostering. Cathi suggested I put in an application at Leave No Paws Behind for a blind 12 year old Shih Tzu named Pede. A few days later, Cathi brought him over for a meet and greet with my other pup and it was a good match! Pede has been loving and so full of trust from the start. Through him, I have learned that special needs equals special love. He teaches me the true meaning of resilience. The last thing I’ll add is that I felt pretty helpless walking through the hallways of cages at the shelter that day and fostering has given me a chance to help. It has been a great gift!"

From our foster Kara:

"The joy of giving a dog, especially a senior dog, a cozy and loving home where they can happily live out as much time as they have is beyond words for me. It's an incredible feeling to watch our Cleo blossom from when she first came to us - skinny, scared, and sickly - into a healthy, happy, relaxed, and loving dog. Being able to care for and be cared for by a dog or cat without worrying about medical bills makes it such an easy choice. I will do it again in a heartbeat!"

Our foster Denise had this to say:


Denise with Ace and his furry family

"I started fostering a few years ago because I was thinking about getting a third dog but wasn't sure, and I thought fostering might be a good compromise. Well, of course I fell in love with my wonderful foster and when he passed away it seemed perfectly logical to take in another. It is a joy to watch them blossom as they become part of the family... they become part of your heart. Here is a picture of wonderful, incomparable Ace"
Ace

This is what Linda has to say about fostering:



"I have been a foster mom for over 12 years, having fostered 2 day old puppies and their mom to 15 year old end of life dogs. Each and every dog I foster is a truly rewarding experience that brings so much joy and happiness into my life. By opening up your home and heart to a dog in need you are saving a life. People ask if it is hard to let go when a foster gets adopted and my answer is that by knowing that dog is going into it's forever home and is going to be loved for life, it makes me less sad and opens up space for me to take in another animal in need. If I have a senior dog who passes, it is sad but knowing that dog felt love in its last days helps heal the pain. It doesn't cost anything to foster- just a warm bed, food and love is all you need. Rescues take care of all medical expenses. Try fostering for a few weeks and if it doesn't work out or is not the right fit, the rescue will take back the dog. Fostering saves lives!"

From our foster Carole:



"Of course saving a life, but for me you also get the pleasure of doggy or cat companionship without worrying about the high cost of vet care. I wish more seniors would step up for the senior dogs."



Fostering is a very rewarding experience. The gratitude these animals show is amazing. The love and companionship shared between you and the animal is priceless. And being able to help an animal escape the cold, harsh environment of the shelter is priceless. At Leave No Paws Behind, we cover all the medical costs while the animal is in foster, eliminating a major concern many people have when it comes to adopting an animal. If you are in the Southern California area and would like to foster, please email info@leavenopawsbehind.com. If you would like to help us continue to care for our current and future rescues, you can give a tax deductible donation at www.leavenopawsbehind.org/donate.

We are always looking for more fosters so we can continue to help save more animals. Fosters save lives. More fosters = more lives saved. Thank you everyone!